FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Well, I'll go first since I own the thing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
rolinger View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rolinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well, I'll go first since I own the thing
    Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 7:56pm
Hello everyone!

My name is Robert Olinger "rolinger".   I live in Iowa and have loved MMA since 1994 when I watched UFC 3 on VHS.   I was in Tae Kwon do for many years growing up and a co worker said I would enjoy this video.   I was hooked and have been a nut since.   Since I live in Iowa, the home of Cauliflower ear, I've always enjoyed wrestling with my friend until one of us gives up.   I started learning jitz from someone who knew what they were doing and just love it.  I enjoy fights with a lot of transitions on the ground.   Perfect examples would be Diaz/Sanchez or Condit/Kampmann.  

I then saw on a PPV that they were going to start making MMA trading cards.  I said to myself that I was going to buy as many as I could.   I did not collect trading cards before (except when a little kid) so I had no idea that they would not just show up at Wal Mart.   I missed the first couple weeks and finally was searching on Ebay for other stuff and saw them on a UFC search.   I started buying as many cases as I could.   I also snagged most of the 1/1's of the current champs.   I had invested so much that I figured to build site that I could sell my own cards.   I picked a domain name that I knew would be perfect when people are looking to "buy mma cards".   I worked very hard to show up on Google first and had established myself there.   I also started talking to people who would email me through my site.   Each one was just as big of MMA fan as I.  

When it came to re selling things, I really did not like losing so much to fees, so that was my big motivation for starting this.   I figured others would enjoy no fees as much as me so I decided to invest a ton more and have this built for others.   I also had a strong desire to support fighters financially.  I really enjoy this sport and want to give back.   When I thought about advertising, I know most is just down the drain.  I figured if I was going to lose a bunch on advertising, I'd rather have it support a fighter for a few months, so that they can train full time.    The way this site works is that everyone helps each other and everyone mutually benefits.  There are no losers when it comes to Our site, the fighters, and you the members.   We all benefit from each other.

So that's my story.  I have more passion for MMA than I know what to do with, therefore I will pour everything I have into making this the best  MMA trading card site on the planet.     The way you help is hang out, get to know who you buy from, and list your cards.   The more you do this, the more of a snowball will happen, and we will all do well, especially the fighters.  

Here's a snapshot of my family. 

So, who are you?

Edited by rolinger - 26 Oct 2010 at 1:57am
bigbubbano23 View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigbubbano23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2009 at 12:40am
My name is Bruce, i'm from new york, i Love mma, i use to be a huge wrestling fan but i converted a long time ago. I currently practice judo and jiu jitsu and help coach newcomers to the sport.  I hope to one day own a world famous MMA facility. I'm currently planing on going to brazil to practice jiu jitsu for a while, but i'm trying to learn portugesse before i go down. I have been to a some seminars with ufc fighters and i can honestly say it's the most fun that i have ever had. Ok to the cards, I love these cards, but they don't love me.  For the life of me I can't pull a good auto from a hobby box, i have come to the conclusion that topps packs there cases in a certain way that is predictable, like the way they pack the hobby boxes, and when someone orders a case they take the good box and sell the others. the best auto's i have pulled from round two are brandon vera and jon jones, i would love to pull just one machida, gracie, jackson, silva (anderson), lesnar or penn.   I do have some decent cards, but i had to purchase them on ebay. which i will be selling soon on this site because these cards have made me broke. But i will not give up, these cards are still awesome and i'm glad that i almost have my round 1 collection complete.

one thing i like about this site is the level of education in mma, i CAN'T STAND when i watch a box break and people can't pronounce fighters names right, i can understand a few, because some are crazy hard, but come on people who can't say guida or machida right.

one thing i would like to see is bruce buffer do a box break
kromeace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kromeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2009 at 1:59am
Well I guess I am Bruce #2, but I will go by my ID on many forums, kromeace... and I too was involved in Tae Kwon Do years ago and competed in a few tournaments... and have loved the UFC from the get go. I finally went to a MMA fight (Faber / Brown 2) in Sacramento, 3rd row!! Except for Faber losing it was a great night. I have meet a few fighters in person (Bonner, Griffin, Liddell (Dude is crazy!), and I had Forest Griffin autograph a drawing I was doing of him.

I am currently chasing a few cards from UFC2 and my wallet hates me!

Robert... thanks for the site!
Chris View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2009 at 3:53am

Hi, my name is Chris. 

I am from Toronto, Ontario Canada. I wasnt involved really involved in Martials arts much, except doing 2 years of karate when I was a kid. I ended up watching Ufc 1-3 when I was about 15 at my friends place because I figured it would be interesting. Then the sport faded when they lost their PPV right (the dark days) and I got into other things. I still kept into it through VHS tapes and remember being in awe of guys like Vitor Belfort and ESPECIALLY Marco Ruas, who IMO was the 1st true all around MMA fighter to enter the sport.
Long story short, I still followed it as a fairweather fan until about 2001 when my dads company, whom I worked for, hired a CFO. I get to talking to him about sports one day and he tells me hes part owner of a BJJ club and pretty "good" at it. After about a month I asked him if I could try it so he brings me to the club on a saturday afternoon after all the classes have been run. I walk in, and he tells me to change and come back out. I come back out in a tshirt and shorts and he calls me over to 2 guys hes talking to. He says these are the instructors and they will be showing me a couple of things and to get stretching. Needless to say, the guys thoroughly kicked my ass. Afterwards I tell them they are great and I cant wait to learn from them. I ask my CFO friend who these guys were and he says Marck Bocek (current UFC LW fighter) and Wagnney Fabiano (former IFL FW champ & current WEC fighter).
In the following months, I continued to roll with them and the one day Carlos Newton (former UFC WW champ) pops in to teach class. Surreal. Anyways kept at it for 1 year, until one day some older guy went way too hard on me, slammed me and I couldnt turn my neneck for 4 months without pain.

Didnt return to MA until about 2005 right before the 1st TUF. Started MT at a gym close to work at 275lbs and started getting decent at it with a lot of dedication and in teh process went down to 185 lbs training BJJ, MMA, and MT. 
Fast forward to Sept. 1, 2007 and I am some little town called Mansfield Ohio staring at some guy across from me in my first, and to this day at least, only MMA fight.

Anyways I tore my knee up 6 weeks prior to the fight, and in the following months fell down some stairs tearing ligs in that same legs ankle and have been limited to riding a stationary bike for the last year or so. Add into that I am getting married in April 2010, we just purchased a condo and take possession 10/16, and our son was born this past March, and there is not a lot of time for training.

But, there is lots of time to collect MMA cards. I collected cards as a kid and got back into baseball and hockey cards somewhat around 1999-2002 and then again from 2005 - present. Naturally, with MMA being my chosen sport I just naturally gravitated toward MMA cards.
I collect pretty much most MMA cards, but I try to focus on cards you dont see everyday like promo cards of Chuck Liddell, Rampage and Tito Ortiz and the 2008 Proelite cards as well as different years of K-1 releases. Also I have most of the 2006 Pride FC cards, and I am 1 Rashad Evans away from completing my 2008 Americana Ring Kings base set /500. I am not a huge fan of the Round 1 cards, and I only have 2 autos I am keeping from them which are BJ Penn and Vera (my fiances favorite fighter). I love Round 2 though but only got 1 box. (which turned out to be a great box with Rachelle Leah Ultimate gear red auto, Bader and Gamburyan Ultimate gear, Credeur and Machida silver /188,  and a Bader Auto which is good since hes my favorite TUF guy!
I currently have a few incoming incoming Round 2 cards that include 2 x Wanderlei Mat Relics, 2 x Wanderlei Autos, 2 x Thiago Alves Autos, and a Dan Henderson TUF Auto.

My hope is to get as many on card autos of guys possible which is possible through some seminars my gym hosts and other gym in my area that I attend as well as fighters I communicate with through email, Facebook, and Myspace. Some of the fighters I have met include Wanderlei Silva, Frank Trigg, Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Rob Kaman (Famous Dutch kickboxer), Dan Henderson, Fabricio Werdum, Thales Leites, Mauricio Shogun Rua. Heath Herring, Bruce Buffer, JZ Cavalcante, War Machine (aka Jon Koppenhaver) and Roger Huerta.
Here is a gallery of most of my on card autos:
As well you can see some of my MMA card pics in the other albums there.
Anyways, my favorite MMA monets besides my fight were doing a Wanderlei Silva seminar where I got 3 of his 2006 Pride FC Cards autographed and even got a chance to train technique with him, and in 2006 my friend and I went to Gatineau Quebec for an MMA event that his brother in law and other friend were putting on called Freedom Fight Canada VS USA. Me, my friend and his bro in law ate dinner with Carlos Newton (Canada coach), Phil Baroni (USA coach), and Dan Henderson(cornering his fighter in teh main Event). Henderson was fresh off winning the Pride WW GP and he had his belt with him.

I have been to 4 MMA events live. Apex shows in Gatineau, UFC 83 in Montreal, and UFC 84 in Vegas.
Anyways thats my story, so feel free to ask any questions or anything.

All the best,

Chris
dkdkdk9711 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote dkdkdk9711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2009 at 10:22am
Hey all.  I'm John.  I've been an MMA fan since I watched UFC 4 on PPV a few weeks after watching 2 and 3 on rental.  I was in 8th grade at the time.  I've only seen one event in person.  It was UFC 32 in New Jersey.  Got to see some great fighters that day.  Ortiz, Militech, Penn, Uno, Carter, Matyushenko, Arlovski, Rodriquez, great card.  I've been collecting MMA cards since the first topps ufc came out in February.  Lack of money means my collection is modest.
arbe79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote arbe79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2009 at 5:14pm
My name is Travis and I live in Southern Illinois.  Love mma and it brought me back to sports cards as it is in it infancy and i can get in ground floor.  Just busted a case of Round 2 and I felt like a kid again.  I am broke as a joke right now and am doing alot of selling but I will be a active buyer as soon as the cash starts flowing agian.  Hook a broke brother up with a Nate Quarry Auto.  lol
aznbala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aznbala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2009 at 7:24pm

Hi, my name is Jason.  29 year old accountant from Portland, Oregon.  I grew up watching WWF.  My friend had one of the old cable boxes where you could get all the pay per views for free so we would go over there and watch all the WWF ones.  That's where we heard about the first UFC.  We were hooked and also confused.  I've been a huge fan ever since.

I collected basketball cards as a kid.  I was very excited when Round 1 came out.  I didn't pull anything real good but I have put together almost all of the cheaper autos.  I have all the mat cards and only missing 2 Ultimate Gear cards but I won't buy GSP and Sherk because they are cheaters. 

I just recently started my glove and photo collection.  UFC 102 was my first live event.  I have met Randy who signed a 8x10, Round 5 figure, few dvd's, book and glove.  LOL I took a few family members to help out.  Also met Noguiera and got a glove and Victorious Debut card signed.  Also have met Wanderlei, Anderson Silva, Shane Carwin, Nate Quarry, Chael Sonnen, Clay Guida, Nate Marquardt, Keith Jardine, Thiago Alves, Bader and Condit. 

My favorite fighter is BJ Penn.  I have a few friends in Hawaii and they got me an autographed glove and magazine.  I also ordered a shirt from BJPenn.com and the shirt took a little longer to ship.  When I got the shirt, there was a hand written note from BJ saying sorry he had moved offices and he enclosed a signed mini poster.  My second favorite fighter is Ryan Bader.  I have met him twice once at TapouT and at a TapouT signing at a Champ's here in Portland for UFC 102. 

I'm often called Mr. TapouT by a lot of my friends because I literally wear TapouT everyday.  I own over 50 shirts plus a lot of sweatshirts, shorts, warmups, socks, hats, and even a TapouT bedspread.  I first heard about TapouT from one of the fighters wearing it.  I have been wearing TapouT since their website came up, maybe 5 years ago.  I went to the TapouT warehouse sale in May and they had shirts 3 for $20 and sweatshirts 3 for $40.  And no I don't wear TapouT like a lot of douchbags do.  I love the brand.

I came to this site because of Nate Quarry.  I saw it on his shorts during the last fight night.  I've met him and also seen him workout.  His new gym is about a 10 min drive from me.

My wife is also an avid fan.  Her favorite fighters are Bader and Alves.

Edited by aznbala - 10 Oct 2009 at 7:27pm
sf2ryu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sf2ryu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 4:08am
Hi everyone!

Glad to be a part of this site! Thanks, Robert, for all the hard work. My name is Chris. I'm a huge Arianny fan. Always looking for stuff of her if you have any. Also a fan of Dana, Logan, Brock, Lyoto, BJ, GSP, and others. I only pick up other UFC cards that appeal to me.

Edited by sf2ryu - 11 Nov 2009 at 6:22am
mmadb.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mmadb.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 3:54pm
I won't give a big long story here, just the basics.

My name is Joe and I'm from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  I've been watching MMA for as long as I can remember.  I died a little when Pride died.

I am the creator of http://www.mmadb.com and spent way too much time working on it considering I'm the only one who uses it.  I'm currently re-designing the database on the back-end so you won't see anything new until I'm done re-designing stuff and at the rate I work it may be awhile.

Anyways, that's it for now.
Chris View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 3:57pm
Hey Joe, I am the one who sold you the K-1 cards from FCB!
Good to see you here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>