FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Checking in from NJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JJWorm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JJWorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Checking in from NJ
    Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 6:17pm

2 months ago I was reading an ESPN magazine while I was getting my oil changed. A quick poll on one of the pages listed about 10 sports and rated them by where people thought the popularity would be 50 years from now. The winner far and away was MMA.

So here I was wondering, "what the heck does that stand for?" I get home, Google around and find this whole new world of a sport I think I heard about 1 time before about 8 years ago...never knew it had a name.

Jump ahead 2 months...I research every night after work all of the UFC/WEC fighters on Wikipedia and try to piece togther their stories. I became a huge fan of Jon Jones as soon as I started to learn all of the top tier fighters. (I have 2 Round 2 Jones Red autos and a bunch of blues). This past Versus 1 fight was great to watch live and got me even more excited for the next live ones on TV (PPV is just too pricey for me)

Collector that I am (I am into non-sports cards from the 1940's to the 1960's), I like to hoard things away...so I already have two unopened boxes of Round 1 and two boxes of Round 2 in my display area.

I guess it's all pretty strange because I was that guy in high school (now 36) that would get the wedgie and get slammed into the locker and always hated those bullies. I wonder if I am trying to relive my early years as someone different...

Thanks for reading and hopefully I will run into some of you along the way.
lesnar_fan View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote lesnar_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:04pm
welcome aboard - did u go to UFC 111 since ur in NJ ??
JJWorm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote JJWorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:27pm
Funny you mention UFC 111...my office window actually looks directly at the big screen on the side of the Prudential Center. I have a newborn at home, so there was no chance to go, but I hear the NJ sports commission does welcome the UFC so the next time they are here, I am sure to go. If and when that happens, maybe I can coordinate a meet and greet at a local bar for anyone on the boards before the fights. I'll look into that next time they are here.
allanjfirman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote allanjfirman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 8:42pm
welcome and enjoy the site .
 Post Reply Post Reply