FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New member - From Burlington,Ont

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ugly View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member - From Burlington,Ont
    Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 12:32pm
Hello everyone

First let me tell you it's has been a long time since I have found something that I truly wanted to collect and find FUN
I'm new to the collecting thing but I have done allot of peeking around and I think I have found the home for my collecting needs. Great site and you all seem to share my thoughts on this hobby. 

I have enjoyed the sport since UFC 1. I was cheering for Shamrock...

Started to enjoy the sport as a young buck watching Daniel LaRusso hobble on to the mat to crane kick Johnny Lawrence for the win... Yep I said it... 

Being from the Toronto area and find watching basketball/baseball and soccer to be a punishment. None of our athletes have personalities and the games are boring to begin with. Hockey has it moments, the last ten minutes of a play off game can be fun, but I see no reason for anyone to watch the regular season.

Long story short. Huge MMA fan.

What I plan on doing and would like advice on how to do it or to be pointed in the right direction,

1.) Hobby Box once a month. - Keep the ones I want and Trade/sell the rest? Found one place in the area but they are $50 more then eBay. There are few big trade shows coming up the the area, Hopefully I can find someone to deal with in my area for the hobby boxes.

2.) Buy/Trade #D cards of my top 5 favorite fighters. This is the fun stuff!!

3.) Buy/Trade #D cards of who I think will become fan favorites for reinvesting. his could take years for a nobody to become    someone body. 

This is the area I really would like advice on. I'll give an example and hopefully someone can explain how this trends.

MR.Smith. Has a few cards. Some are rare.... But he's a nobody.. $5 for his best one.

Mr.Smith becomes champ.   Clearly the 2016 card has value to his fans. Does the 2010 card value go up a little or a lot.

Last question of the hour. What scanner would you recommend for these type of cards? I don't want to be one of the people apologizing that you can't see what you are buying because my scanner can't scan these cards properly.

Long winded sorry.  Like I said new and thrilled to have a passion about something.
Elite View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote Elite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 1:38pm
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. Who are your favorite fighters?
I will answer your last question.
I use a very inexpensive low end scanner and it works just fine for me.
rolinger View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote rolinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 1:42pm
Awesome to have you here!   I feel the same about other sports.   I just cannot get into other sports unless it's the last few min of the game that determines the best.  
Great questions, and I don't know the answers on what is best when you collect a certain guy.   I'm always going to lean towards earliest and rarest.   Plus it's a blast to collect guys you think will end up being top in their division before they are popular.   George Sotiropolous is one of those guys for me.   And I keep looking for his Round 1 stuff and don't really care about anything else after that.   So I lean towards earliest and rarest.   But I'm definitely no pro when it comes to cardboard.   Most hobby talk bores me, and becomes more about the hobby than  the sport we love.

Pictures, I'm not sure what is best, but trying to get the best shot of it with a detailed description is a good start.  And being willing to take additional pictures if a buyer wants to see it more closely.  I used to use my scanner, but now use my webcam to shoot pictures.  Mainly because it's faster and I can position it where I need to.   If it's an expensive card, then I'm willing to pay for the additional pictures on ebay to highlight different areas.   On here, you can only have one picture, so the willingness to provide more is about the only option other than a willingness to email more if you have a serious buyer. 

Long winded as well,  I was just trying to say Welcome to the site and I'm glad you're here.

I like your pace of 1 hobby box/month.   It's pretty easy to go overboard and get addicted to these things.   Having a plan and a budget is probably one of the smartest things I can think of.   When there are hundreds of cards ending everyday, it's easy to get caught up in the moment and start buying too much because you don't think you'll have a chance to get that card again.

es_19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote es_19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
welcome, i'm from toronto - which trade shows are you talking about?
allanjfirman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote allanjfirman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 2:20pm
Welcome and enjoy the site !!!
jamesrudy380 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesrudy380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 3:13pm
Welcome to the site. Love the Karate Kid reference.
ugly View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote ugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 3:31pm
Thank guys.

es_19
The two shows that I know about are.

1.) Sport Card & Memorabilia Expo at the International Centre on April 30, May 1 & 2. 
    6900 Airport Road
      Entrance 6b, Suite 120
      Mississauga, Ontario
      Canada L4V 1E8

2.)The Toronto Card Show at Leaside Gardens on May 23
     Leaside Gardens Arena
     1073 Millwood Road, Toronto, ON M4G 1X6
     (416) 409-2090

I don't know if the Sport Card & Memorabilia will be any good for what I want but it maybe a good place for me to find a local dealer with good pricing on the hobby boxes. There are two shops in the area that I really want to go check out but they have bad hours of operation compared to my schedule and I keep getting the guy that knows nothing when I call to get information from the stores. 

The second one has the UFC listed as a new attraction claiming that they have cards and apparel from the UFC on the main page of the event. If I can hold my temptations from now till then..

Elite

Favorite fighters that fight today.

GSP.               I'm Canadain and I like his attatude.
Nate Diaz         Little to fake ganagster but I like his style.   
Brock              I have a feeling that he's the real deal and we all will love to hate him one day.    
Machida          He has one more shot then I shelf him with Silva as a I'm not going to sit there and yell at the screen making myself look like a fool.

The list is very long Griffin - Koscheck - Okami - Neer - Penn - Miller - Bonnar - Sanchez guess I like anyone that gets in the ring.

Guys on my list to collect.

Nate Diaz - Koscheck  and Leben.

Thanks for the welcome guys,
es_19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote es_19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 3:48pm
i go to the toronto card show on a regular basis and am friends with the guys that run it - the ufc dealers are new (as of the last 2 to 3 shows) but i haven't dealt with them yet. but i am intrigued with the apparel they have for sale at the show since the shirts are cheaper than most places i've checked out. need shorts and maybe rashguards so hopefully they bring those in for sale.

as for the expo, i will be going on saturday...maybe sunday. will probably pick up some wax since they will most definitely be cheaper than the shop i go to. i DOUBT there will be many dealers with singles since it's predominantly hockey and maybe about 5% baseball, football and basketball..

maybe we will bump into each other there
Elite View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote Elite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 3:48pm
If you are looking to buy I have cards of all of your Favorites.
Check out my listings on e-bay my name is     ronsmma
I also have many many more cards not listed there
let me know what you want I might have it
ugly View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote ugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 4:03pm
Rolinger 

Thanks for the welcome

My pace for a hobby box a month is defiantly a self imposed restriction. When I first found out about the cards 3 or 4 weeks ago, I found myself driving from store to store - city to city looking for what they had on the shelf at the Wal-Mart and toysrus. I did not know about all the differences in packs and boxes at that time. I certainly did not think we had card shops anymore. I thought EBay had closed them all down. I have found a few in the area since then, but have not had a chance to go to them.

I now need to come up with plan that will stop me from buying everything off EBay.... 
I am going to take the advice to pick only a few names and collect their items.

I think this will keep my collection neat and manageable.

I swear the Auto card I'm about to bid on will be the last till I make my list of priorities to collect. 8)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>