FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New member - From Burlington,Ont

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ugly View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member - From Burlington,Ont
    Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 5:13pm
I almost bought the Kimbo card last night.
That's one of the card that helped me find this site. I decided I should educate myself more on the cards before I started to buy items over the $100 mark. The 20 and 30 were ok but it was the first 150 I had really thought about.

You have some of the best cards I have seen on EBay. I know you don't want to give your secrets away but what's my best way of going about this if I want the hobby to help pay for it self a bit. I don't want to make money off it, Just need to have it help it self out a bit.

I have only opened one hobby box and a few dozen packs, 5 EBay buys in to my collection this is going to get expensive fast.

What direction would you point me in. I know you are tying to make some coin yourself and handing out to much advice can hurt your model but I need to know if left or right .

Left.
Get myself very educated on the cards and the market. I have E business experience and know the ropes, I have stayed away from eBay though and do not know this market at all. Just brick and murders store stuff.
I would need to find an outlet other then online to buy lower priced cards and resell at a higher price. This would take up allot of time but the rewards to the collection may be great and guaranteed if I know what I am doing. This would help the first year then from that point on I should have enough cards that I don't want that have some value to dig deeper in to main event 2 and so on. Guess my question about this methods is do the UFC card sell well enough on EBay. I want a good collection and I have no problem putting in time its the money that worries me here. This method may involve a few grand to get a good base and if they don't sell I now have cards I don't want and my collection suffers.

Right.
Buy hobby boxes - and my favorites from EBay wait a year or two before I start selling the ones I don't want from my hobby boxes hoping they have some value. This way is like playing the lotto to me. You may get a card or you may not....

Sorry. Just a man that is at the cross roads in a major choice. 

1. Can EBay really help or is it a grind to sell. Other then the Hot items. 
2. Play the Hobby box lotto.

I think I have made up my mind as I was typing this but I will leave it as is,

Edited by ugly - 25 Apr 2010 at 5:16pm
ZuluTango View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuluTango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 5:41pm
Welcome to the site!

eBay is a necessary evil for selling in my opinion.

Fees are horrible but it's THE BEST place to get eyes on the cards that you have for sale.

Zack
Elite View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote Elite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 5:42pm
Buy the cards you really want for your collection of E-bay or other sources and only pay what you are comfortable paying. I don't buy many boxes because I have not had much luck getting what I want that way. Trading is a great way to get what you want. If you are looking to turn some cards for profit or to support your collection you should educate yourself so you know what prices are good buys so when you do see one you can snatch it up before someone else does. Watch E-bay auctions ending in the early morning hours when everyone is sleeping and you can get some great deals.
Good luck!!!!!

es_19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote es_19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 6:54pm
look at completed auctions to see what the current going rate is for cards and certain fighters. that is your best option on where to start
ugly View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote ugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 7:02pm
Thanks guys.

Great feed back. You help more the you know.

I have decide how I am going to approach this now.

Guess it's time to read my how to EBay books. Can't believe I have avoided EBay my whole professional career so far just to have it part of my social life. 

Thank again. You'll be seeing allot of me around.

Ugly 
rolinger View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote rolinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Elite

Buy the cards you really want for your collection of E-bay or other sources and only pay what you are comfortable paying. I don't buy many boxes because I have not had much luck getting what I want that way. Trading is a great way to get what you want. If you are looking to turn some cards for profit or to support your collection you should educate yourself so you know what prices are good buys so when you do see one you can snatch it up before someone else does. Watch E-bay auctions ending in the early morning hours when everyone is sleeping and you can get some great deals.
Good luck!!!!!

I gotta agree with this 100% if you hope to come out ahead.  
Lottery does not work unless you're lucky- I've probably opened more cases than any one, I would have been better off selling my boxes and buying what I wanted and not have a mountain of cardboard around here.  
I've made the most profit from timing things.  Grabbing cards as soon as they're listed is the most profitable if they are inserted at a low BIN.    Gotta love those 3 am auctions.   Set your alarm, get up for 5 min, then go back to bed.   
Chris View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 9:00pm
Welcome to the sight. Im from Mississauga. Great to have some fellow canadians to talk MMA with and trade with.
http://www.buymmacards.com/scripts/buymmacards/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7046&title=chris
0r3o View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 0r3o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 9:53pm
Welcome ... If you get any Condit cards !!! Let me know!!!
BBoy711 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBoy711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 11:01pm
Hey buddy, Welcome to the site.  I'm new to collecting as well.  Good luck with collecting.  Take care hope you get a mad hit in your future hobby box breaks.  Later
Collecting any & everything Mark "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" Munoz
lesnar_fan View Drop Down
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Quote lesnar_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 10:43am
welcome aboard - "sweep the leg ..... u got a problem with that ?? "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>